Saturday, February 14, 2015

Reminiscent Love

My intent is still to catch up on the last two months here but time & technology has been a challenge in me doing so. For today, I'm just thinking back on previous years.  I honestly do not recall any truly special or poignant Valentines Days prior to being with Jon. When I was younger, I'm pretty sure my Dad would almost always get my Mom flowers (usually red roses), a card and some fancy strawberry cake dessert that had whipped cream on it. Many times it was a combo gift as Valentines Day was snack dab in the middle of their birthdays only 8 days apart.

When I look back on this day through our relationship, I can't remember our first one (pretty sure it was overshadowed in learning my Dad was sick and then I had prego brain on top of that). 

2002 stands out as I had stopped in to walmart before work and got two silkie pair of boxers and a pregnancy test. I took the test at work and met Jon for lunch but first I stopped to get and tie the stick (in a plastic bag...eww) to the bottom of a Mylar balloon that said Congratulations & gave it to Jon after we had lunch at Eat n Park together. This was the initial announcement of Jesse. It was definitely less of a shock than Eric was to us but still a bit of a surprise.

Another one I treasure is this one: http://youtu.be/koYBf-SVQlk & the irony in that is that we were not together. I actually was all alone in Reston, VA in training for my job.  They sent this big black stuffed ape with me and while I was down there, Jon had arranged for this disc to be delivered to me on Valentines Day. There was even an out takes reel from the adorable video he put together. We all get a laugh from it now & it's definitely a timeless treasure to me.

Last year was probably the first real surprise Jon was able to pull off for me. He sang "All of Me" and "Love Don't Die" in a dessert shop downtown during my work lunch break and a coworker friend captured that on video for us.

This year I planned a surprise outing which was something my younger son got upset with me because it is something he also really wants to do. I ended up revealing it to him yesterday in case I wasn't well enough to go with being sick & possibly needing to cancel out. We're thankfully still on though.

So, I stopped at the dollar store this morning to pick up a birthday card and while I was there I decided to get Jon a card too. When I went through the checkout, the old guy in front of me just kept saying "you're in trouble if you're going to the Dollar Store on Valentines Day." I didnt say anything in response although I'm convinced his remark was directed at me. The more I pondered it, I just kept thinking that this 50 cent card holds no weight on my day, my love, my life. It may have been a last minute gesture but my husband did not expect a card or gift from me (not just because I've been sick most of the week either) but we are well beyond that. Little laughs, kind gestures, mini Reese's hearts, sweet kids, beautiful musical harmony, warm hugs and love abound. For this, I am/we are blessed. Love is what it's all about...& not just today, but everyday.