Tuesday, August 03, 2004

PRO-CRASTINATION

The biggest downside to putting off until tomorrow what you could do today is that eventually choosing where to begin becomes an overwhelming task in it’s own right! It has been some time since my last update and I have too many things floating through my mind to write on one concise topic so, this will be a cornucopia of comments, a plethora of paragraphs, a delectable delightful diversion into the depths of my mind (did I mention that I’m also in tired yet giddy mode?).

Quote For The Day: “They eat meat, other dinosaurs and are therapods!” Eric’s response to the nurse asking him what he knows about the T-Rex on his shirt, during his five-year check-up.

Half Way There
Missy and I are both participating in the “Year of the Bible” program through our church. They provided us with a year-long reading schedule and other background information to encourage reading the entire bible in one year. We are no both proud to be over half way there. The schedule is not what I expected as it does not simply start at the beginning and go from there. Rather, each night we read from both the old and new testaments and occasionally have some psalms thrown in for good measure. Missy is more faithful in reading nearly every night. I tend to fall a bit behind but like to read in bigger chunks and then end up ahead of schedule. I must say that I am getting a lot more from the Old Testament than I had thought I might. I also thought that I knew more about what is in the Bible than I really do. It has been a challenging and constructive undertaking for both of us.

The Boys Are Back!
Missy and I had a quiet house last week as the boys spent some time with Grandma and Grandpa Crownover. We had a great time! We went out to eat every night, went to a ball game, a movie, a comedy show at the Improv, rented a motorboat and cruised around a local lake and got to spend a lot of quality time together. There was no yelling or crying, no arguing, no running and stomping through the house, no fighting siblings or screaming, no demands to be held or to be left alone, no toys being left all over the place…boy did we miss them!

We did have a truly wonderful week and we were very ready to have them back after seven full days. It is amazing how you can cherish the time without them and miss them so much in the same moment.

Jesse (now spitting out words left and right) seems to have named my mother and father “Mum” and “Papa” respectively. I guess mom tried to get him to say something closer to “grandma” (so as not to be confused with “mama”) and Jesse would get mad and yell “MUM!” back at her! He has quite the little attitude!

Ice Cream
I can’t write an article without including this little tidbit I found. CustomIceCreamCreations.com is a local Ice Cream maker (Reinholds) that will let you create your own custom flavor of ice cream and then ship it to you packed in dry ice! You get to pick the mix, a base flavor and then “mix-ins” such as candy and nuts. I checked it out (though haven’t ordered any) and there is a nice assortment there. I actually found out about this by catching a program on The Food Network. It’s not cheap (something like $40.00 for 1.5 gal. including shipping) but scoop for scoop costs less than most gourmet ice cream shops. What was really intriguing to me was that they said they would mix almost anything into the ice cream for you. If what you want is not on their list they will get it. If it is something that they cannot get (your own secret cookie dough recipe or something) then you can send some to them and they will mix it in.

I like to experiment with my own ice cream making and flavors, but I still think this is pretty neat as it is professionally made, quality ice cream packaged and labeled with whatever you want to name your flavor. Could be a fun family get-together event to have each person (or family or team) design a flavor and then we could have an “ice cream tasting” to try them all out and maybe pick a favorite. A local non-profit does something like this every year and invites companies to design a flavor.

Well, there are still more thoughts banging around up there, but I don’t want to overload you. Plus I need to catch up on my Bible reading! Next time I will talk about an interesting chocolate site that I came across!